We know that many people have questions or thoughts when they see the word ‘apprenticeship’. 
What exactly is an apprenticeship these days? 
I don’t work with a particular trade or profession so how are they useful to me? 
We aren’t looking for new staff at the moment. 
I’m over 18, how can I be an apprentice? 
I’ve got a degree, so I wouldn’t be interested in an apprenticeship 
If you’ve had a thought similar to this, read on. We hope we can answer some questions you may have in this blog. 
History of Apprenticeships 
Apprenticeships have been around since the 12th Century when parents may have negotiated a position with a local tradesman or craftsman for a low wage. They become increasingly popular by the 14th Century and were formalised in the sixties and still used today. 
Fareport has been around long enough to see some of those changes. Did you know Fareport Training was established in 1981 in order to offer young people a route into work through work based training? 
What are apprenticeships today? 
An apprenticeship is a job with training. It is a way for existing or new employees to learn and gain valuable skills while they work. Apprenticeships are available across all industries and not only for trades. 
Apprenticeships are a great choice if you’re starting the first steps on your career path but also if you are looking to progress in your career with your current employer. They are a combination of classroom and work-based learning. 
They have been written by employers, and are based on the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours you need to be successful in the role. 
Who are they for? 
• You can be any age, 16+ 
• You may already have higher qualification or a degree, so long as you still have significant new learning to gain on the apprenticeship 
• They are not only for new starts – they are available from Level 2 up to Level 7 (equivalent to a Masters) 
• You may be on an apprenticeship or fixed term contract, but can also be on a standard employment contract 
• You will earn at least the national apprentice minimum wage, currently £5.28 per hour (Tax year 23/24), however many employers pay significantly more 
Who pays for my apprenticeship? 
If you are a levy paying employer (those with a payroll over £3m per annum), the total cost can be paid from your online Apprenticeship Service Account. 
For those that don’t pay the levy, 95% of their apprenticeship training costs will be paid by the government, with the remaining 5% paid by the employer, directly to their training provider. Depending on the apprenticeship you will pay as little as £150 and a maximum of £450 for some high-level apprenticeships. (The only exception is for those with fewer than 50 employers who are training a 16-18-year-old where the government will cover 100% of the training cost). 
What are the benefits of an apprenticeship? 
Apprenticeships benefit employers and individuals by boosting skills and improving productivity. 
It is a way to learn and gain valuable skills, knowledge and behaviours while you work. 
The training is specifically tailored to ensure learners develop the skills their employer wants, giving apprentices a real advantage in the workplace. This means that apprentices not only have better long-term salary prospects, but they also have excellent progression opportunities, whether looking to study further or climb the ranks within the workplace. 
A key benefit of the apprenticeship is that it is delivered over at least 12 months. The programme is carefully planned so that knowledge is built up slowly, each piece of knowledge building on the last. The learning is embedded when learners put it into practice back in the workplace and receive feedback at each stage. Learners’ knowledge is regularly checked, and new skills and behaviours are observed. The learner works towards a final end point assessment where everything they have learnt comes together. This all works to ensure that the new skills and knowledge will be retained over the long term. 
Apprenticeships contain lots of useful theories, models and knowledge. But they are also always practical. The knowledge and theory must be put into context and used in real life scenarios. Learners will be shown the practical application of the content they are learning. 
You may also like to read: 
Or have a look at all our Courses 
Contact us to find out more about the apprenticeships available to you. 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Westfield House 
PO16 0DH 
01329 825805 
For Learners / Apprentices - info@fareport.co.uk 
Opening hours 
Monday - Friday: 8am - 4pm 


European Social Fund Logo
Ofsted Outstanding Logo
Skills funding agency logo
Apprenticeships logo
Matrix logo
Training Excellence logo
Back to top 
Our site uses cookies, including for advertising personalisation. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings